Price not important to new vanners

Laura Keys — 16 July 2015

Caravanners are most concerned with what features their new vans have, rather than their price, value for money or build quality, a survey has found.

The Caravan Industry Association of Australia’s ‘Tell us about your Recreational Vehicle’ survey, which has run online for the past three months, found that 25 per cent of respondents who bought a new RV based their decision largely on its features.

A further 21 per cent chose by appearance and just one in five (20 per cent) bought based on the van’s build quality. Value for money (15 per cent) and price (11 per cent) were the least important factors to buyers.

Almost 80 per cent of the 300 respondents in the first three months of the survey had bought a new caravan, with motorhomes, pop-tops and campers making up the other 20 per cent.


More than 80 per cent of all travellers who responded said buying an RV from an RVMAP-accredited manufacturer was ‘important’ or ‘very important’.

RVMAP is the industry association’s manufacturing compliance program and accreditation assures buyers that the RV they’re buying is manufactured to comply with Australian Design Rules, applicable safety standards and regulations, and designed to meet local climate and conditions.


Other statistics to come out of the survey show that while ‘unspecified’ safety issues were the most common problems new vanners had, chassis complaints (13 per cent), weight ratings and masses, appliance faults and 12V electrical issues (all 11 per cent) were all commonly encountered.

Jockey wheels, external lighting and vehicle jacks were the items least likely to cause problems.

The survey is ongoing and can be accessed through the Caravan Industry Association’s website.

For more information on finance options, check out Credit One.


Caravan RV new price safety RVMAP industry


Malcolm Street