Packing light for a hike? Try these recipes using easily dehydrated/packable staples for a more gourmet experience!
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
- 8 cups water
- 4 packets ramen noodles
- 4 stock cubes (or noodle packet flavourings)
- Large handful of crushed toasted nori
- 1 cup dehydrated, fresh or tinned corn
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp butter
- Large handful of bean sprouts
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and halved
- Chilli flakes
- Boil water. Add ramen, stock cubes/flavouring, nori, corn and soy sauce and simmer until noodles are cooked
- Stir through butter and serve with bean sprouts, egg halves and chilli
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow lentils (soaked and drained)
- 1 400g tin black beans (washed and drained)
- 1 400g tin red kidney beans (washed and drained)
- 2 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 1 bottle of beer (preferably lager)
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp hot chilli flakes (or smoked chipotle)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Handful coriander, chopped
- Extra olive oil and minced garlic (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add onions; saute until translucent.
- Add the lentils and stir until coated, about a couple of minutes, then add the kidney and black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, stock cubes and the rest of the spices.
- Cook until thickened, around 30 minutes, and serve with toppings of chopped coriander, minced garlic (optional) and a drizzle of olive oil.
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 900ml almond milk
- 100g dried fruit, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Handful shaved almonds
- Maple syrup
- Extra fresh fruit and melted dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine the oats, almond milk, dried fruit, almonds and cinnamon in a large pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer, stirring occasionally until oats are softened, around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup, extra fresh fruit or dark choc chips on top, if desired.